Pasquale Sciarappa Eggplant Rollatini Recipe
- 2 large eggplants, sliced lengthwise
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 cups marinara sauce
- Fresh basil for garnish (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Slice the eggplants lengthwise into 1/4-inch thick slices. Place the slices on a baking sheet, brush both sides with olive oil, and sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Roast the eggplant slices in the preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes or until they become tender. Make sure to flip them halfway through the cooking time.
- While the eggplant is roasting, prepare the filling. In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, Parmesan cheese, and egg. Mix well until smooth.
- Once the eggplant slices are done roasting, let them cool slightly. Spoon a generous amount of the ricotta mixture onto each slice and roll them up.
- In a baking dish, spread a thin layer of marinara sauce. Place the rolled eggplants seam side down in the dish.
- Pour the remaining marinara sauce over the rolled eggplants and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 25-30 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
- Garnish with fresh basil if desired.
- Allow the Eggplant Rollatini to cool slightly before serving.
Enjoy your delicious Pasquale Sciarappa-inspired Eggplant Rollatini!
Frequently Asked Questions for Pasquale Sciarappa Eggplant Rollatini
Q: Can I prepare the Eggplant Rollatini in advance?
A: Yes, you can assemble the dish ahead of time and refrigerate it. Just bake it when you’re ready to serve.
Q: Can I freeze Eggplant Rollatini?
A: Yes, you can freeze the unbaked rollatini. Wrap them tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil. When ready to cook, thaw in the refrigerator and bake as directed.
Q: Can I substitute the ricotta cheese?
A: If you’re looking for alternatives, you can try cottage cheese or a mixture of cottage cheese and cream cheese. Experiment to find your preferred taste and texture.
Q: How do I choose the best eggplants for this recipe?
A: Look for firm and shiny eggplants with smooth skin. Avoid those with soft spots or wrinkled skin. Smaller eggplants generally have fewer seeds and a milder flavor.
Q: Can I use store-bought marinara sauce?
A: Yes, you can use your favorite store-bought marinara sauce. However, making your own allows you to customize the flavors to your liking.
Q: What side dishes pair well with Eggplant Rollatini?
A: Serve it with a side of pasta, a simple green salad, or crusty bread for a complete and satisfying meal.
Q: How long does it take to roast the eggplant slices?
A: Roast the eggplant slices for about 15-20 minutes or until they become tender. Flip them halfway through the cooking time for even roasting.
Q: Can I use a different type of cheese for the filling?
A: While ricotta is traditional, you can experiment with different cheeses like goat cheese, fontina, or even a blend of Italian cheeses for a unique flavor.